This policy demonstrates how Wong Beh & Toh (“WBT” or “we” or “us”) handles your personal data when you visit our website. We are a firm of advocates and solicitors of the High Court of Malaya regulated by the Bar Council Malaysia (“Bar Council”) and the Legal Profession Act 1976 of Malaysia. We are also registered under Section 14 of Personal Data Protection Act 2010 (“PDPA”).
“Personal data” here means the same thing as “personal data” in Section 4 of PDPA. In essence, it relates to information about yourself and includes, information which relates to others who may be identified from information about yourself, but which must amount to personal data.
This policy is also a notice given by us under Section 7 of PDPA. This policy and notice was last updated on 1 December 2017.
Personal data collection
We do not ask that you give us personal data when you visit our website. However, you may choose to give us personal data when you contact us for matters including these:
- our services or possible services
- publications, client alerts or client events
- to give us feedback on our services or other matters
- career enquiries or applications
If you choose to give us your own or another’s personal data, you confirm that you and the other agree to our collection, use and disclosure of such personal data in accordance with this Notice. Do not give us any personal data if you do not want it to be used in this way.
Our use of personal data
If you give us personal data in connection with publications, client alerts or client events, we may use such personal data to:
- send you to publications and client communications which we think you find useful
- invite you to events which we think you may find to be of interest
If you give us personal data in connection with career enquiries or applications and this leads to your being employed by us or becoming one of our pupils, you will be asked to sign and accept a notice under Section 7 of PDPA setting out, as one of the things set out, our rights to collect, use or disclose personal data. We may otherwise collect, use or disclose personal data for recruitment or the management of our human resources in connection with our business and operations.
We may, in any event, collect, use or disclose personal data in any way which we think is necessary or advisable to protect or to comply with the requirements of our business and operations as well as in any way which PDPA or laws or regulations allow us to do.
We do not, however, sell or make available personal data to any third party for commercial purposes except as set out in this Notice or any other relevant notices under Section 7 of PDPA or with your consent.
What if we collect no personal data
We had explained earlier that we do not ask you as a user of this website to give us any personal data. If you choose not to communicate with us and provide personal data, then we will simply not be able to do the things explained under the heading, Use of personal data, above. These include:
- our being unable to provide or consider providing services to you as a client
- our being unable to send you publications, client alerts and information on client events
- our being unable to consider you for a career with us or to employ or engage you.
We generally keep personal data given to us, confidential. However, you consent to us giving personal data to
- any person where we are required by the applicable law or regulation of any jurisdiction or a court of law to do so
- governmental, public or regulatory authority or stock exchange or regulator or the Bar Council in connection with the exercise of their authority or functions
- our lawyers, employees, pupils, auditors, insurers, consultants and financial or professional advisers
- our sub-contractors or third party service or product providers as we think may be necessary or advisable.
Such personal data may be given to any of these people even if they are outside Malaysia. We may also, as explained above, give personal data where allowed by PDPA or any applicable law or regulation.
We keep and process personal data in the secure way. We try, where practicable, to implement appropriate administrative and security safeguards and procedures in accordance with PDPA to prevent unlawful or unauthorised processing of personal data or their accidental loss, destruction or damage.
Data transfer and sharing
We may transfer personal data to a third party service or product provider within or outside Malaysia under conditions of confidentiality and similar levels of security safeguards. We may do so for purposes of data storage or processing or providing any service on your behalf.
Access and correction
You may ask to access and correct personal data held by us. You may, in this regard:
- ask us to tell you whether we hold or use personal data and ask to access it
- ask us to correct any personal data which is not accurate, complete or up-to-date
- ask us to retain personal data for only as long as is necessary to fulfil the purpose of which we collected it
- ask that we specify or explain our policies and procedures in relation to personal data and the types of personal data we handle
- object to the use of personal data for publications, client alerts or client
- withdraw, wholly or partly any consent you provided previously subject to a reasonable time period.
Kuala Lumpur Office
Wong Beh & Toh,
Peti #30, Level 19, West Block,
Wisma Selangor Dredging,
142-C, Jalan Ampang,
50450 Kuala Lumpur,
Sungai Petani Office
Wong Beh & Toh,
1st Floor, Nos. 173&174,
Jalan Kelab Cinta Sayang,
Taman Ria Jaya,
08000 Sungai Petani,